6.28.2007

Come On You Know You Love Pictures Of China

Back to the pics. So much easier than coming up with something compelling to read. I feel like an ad exec, come on and look at the shiny thing. Buy, buy, buy. Believe me I only have your best interest at heart...

Sorry it has been an exceptional long tiring day at work. It was the first time I had the dubious privilege of engaging in one of the famous MS stack ranks. 10 hours later we are halfway through. Awesome.

Anyways, pics, yeah of China. Like you haven't seen enough of those before on this little site. Well here are some more and I promise you will love them.

We went there for work for a week and got a day at the beginning and end of the trip to sightsee. I liked most of the people I went with so it ended up being a lot of fun. Got to see some coworkers come out of their shell and they turned out to be pretty cool.

The first day we wandered around Tian'enmen. This picture was taken to the south of it where there are a bunch of Hutongs. It was one of my favorite areas in Beijing but it is disappearing quickly. This barrier is where the main street used to be. If you look at the lines in the street they go into the main arch in the wall. That is Nana in the blue and red shirt. See the above note on cool coworkers.

Drink casually. The place up the street was the drink formally place but it looked like a lot less fun. (Also 35 Yuan is about $3, I miss that about China).

It was because of this photo that I am now know as Gigantor at work. These guys took a lot of pictures. A lot like 20. A whole photo study.

This was right by the scorpion and seahorse stand. Which I throw around casually now but is not that common even in China.

Where I decided to take the plunge and eat scorpion. I was hoping that it would look a lot more tough in the 1950's sort of way. Instead it tasted fried and looked less than impressive. C'est la vie.

A vending machine that says true. That's it. I love it though. It took me about 15 tries to get this picture. I could blame it on the dark hallway and the reflective surface but truth is I was wasted and could barely hold the camera straight. This vending machine has caused me to add the phrase "true dat" back into my vernacular. I thought it had gone for good in 9th grade.

On the last day we went to the Summer Palace which is not really a palace but a huge (600+ acres) park. It has a lot of lakes and brooks and trees and flowers. In said bodies of water there are fish but not much else. This sign shows what is banned; a lot of activities that make sense like swimming, fishing, pumping in raw sewage, pumping in raw chemicals, geese. Why would you not want geese?

This might be my favorite picture of the trip. Miao is so serious with the peace sign. And the food was stupendous.

Music:

The Last Poets - The Last Poets / This Is Madness - Light In The Attic

This is some real OG shit. The poetry presented here is enough to make me feel two lifetimes of white guilt. It also serves as the chorus for party and bullshit. Talk about breadth and influence. These guys are still wrecking the mic and making sure people are doing something about the situation faced by many. Everytime you listen to a hiphop record after this (If it is any good, none of that laffy taffy shit) you will hear echoes of these albums. Bonus points for a local Seattle label putting out his awesome reissue with things the geek in me loves like liner notes from record critics and the sotry of getting this reissue out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Where the hell did you get that Geese Police picture?? :-)