1.22.2006

I showered today!!! That was my big achievement. Hadn't done it since I got on an airplane Thursday. I was trying to relive those space camp dreams. All the people on my floor stopped by to say thanks. Oh, I also managed to wake up in time to grab breakfast, a notable improvement over yesterday. I tell you things are getting more like home by the minute.

Posting pictures does not seem to work from the hotel so I am going to try from work tomorrow and see if I can get some of the pics up.

In all seriousness today was actually a lot better. I managed to leave the hotel room and everything. Got up and wandered around the city for a couple hours. I realized something about myself as well, I hate looking like a tourist when I am traveling. That is one of the main reasons that I don't take a lot of pictures on vacation. In addition I realized that no matter what I do I am going to look like a tourist here. Something about being six and a half feet tall and white. After realizing that I ended up taking pictures of everything. Like I said earlier I will post the interesting ones with captions tomorrow.

The city was fun. I initially set out to go to Walmart cause I wanted to experience the authentic side of Beijing. A really large building caught my eye though and I wandered
towards that. Then some shiny red things caught my eye on another street and I walked towards them. I felt vaguely like a gigantic cat with a really short attention span. I ended up walking down that street for a mile or two and began recognizing lots of stores. Like I could tell what served food , what sold CDs and what sold some sort of water filtration systems. I am really becoming a regular expert.

Then I walked through a big park till I was back near the hotel. I got to see an "awesome sculpture garden". I stopped in the hotel to make a phone call and planned on going back out to Walmart but ended up passing out for many hours. Woke up just in time for Spiderman 2 and a reuben. After watching this I am going to pass out. Work tomorrow so probably less exciting things to talk about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Justin, Your Aunt Christy said that it would be okay for me to write to tell you how much I enjoy China through your perspective and eyes. Thank you for sharing your travel experience. Looking forward to your next entry.
Be safe, stay well and have fun.

Peace and Light,

Carleen (Prus) Brownell