1.30.2008

Fuck Seattle Hipsters

P1040225

And their unwillingness to dance.

Tonight I got the chance to see the Liars live and I am very happy about that.  I was going to be lazy and old and call Marques with some kind of made up story about how I could not go to the show.  Instead I decided to sack up and check the Liars out as I have heard a 7" of theirs but that is about it.

Very satisfied is how I would describe the show.  They managed to combine elements of the Stone Roses, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Trent Reznor and "Beaches and Canyons" era Black Dice into a mix that was uniquely their own.

Their drummer was a force of nature that went through at least three sets of drumsticks during the show.  He never played anything that was really crazy like Damon Che but damn was he solid and one of the better rock drummers I have heard in a while.

The rest of the band was pretty magnificent as well.  The guitarist captured a lot of attention early on because he looked as if he was producing the sound but due to the crazy deductive reasoning of Marques and myself we finally reckoned it was the bassist with the help of a foot pedal system who was making the ridiculous noise.

The show itself was amazing.  The energy peaked in the middle with a set that was good leading to the expected encore (When did that become expected by the way?).  They started off strong with the musicians described above providing ample playing room for everyone.

About half way through their set they played what might be the most amazing jam I have ever heard.  I have seen a lot of shows in my time but this was the most danceable cerebral music I have heard (This might apply to all their music).  I will buy their music bit by bit until I have something that roughfully approximates what I heard tonight.  It had elements of everything yo0u love plus those random things that you don't love but respect.

All in all a phenomenal show.  Peace and good night.

No comments: