12.05.2006

Better than hipster bingo

It is the new fad sweeping the nation, the ugly dress drinking game. At the Joanna Newsom show it was in full effect. Backing up a step, Yachi, Marques and I went to the show last night at the Showbox. As we walked in I realized Smog was the opening band which was cool because I really like his records. Unfortunately he is the sort of performer not suited to a venue as large as Showbox (the start of a trend). He was a little too quiet and reserved to be engaging.

So I was left to look through the crowd making fun of their clothing choices. I determined that a) ugly dresses are the new female hipster style of choice. These are dresses with puffy sleeves and fabric in weird places. One woman I was particularly hard on later ended up on stage playing with Joanna Newsom so I guess in the grand scheme of things I really do not know much. B) was that Yachi and I’s fleeces are mega-uncool like so uncool I think they should have turned us away at the door. Fortunately I have ass of iron so they let me in because that bumps me way back up the cool ladder. Yachi basked in the halo effect of the butt of steel.

Her show in itself suffered from the same problem as Smog. It was great music but not a show. It was as if you were watching a recording session for her album. The interest in seeing someone playing a harp on stage quickly faded as she and her fellow musicians proved to lack the ability to put on a good live show. The worst was that she had 5 other musicians on stage that played every 3 songs. In between they just sat there and stared admiringly / creepily at her while she played.

Maybe Blood Brothers next week will put on a better show.

No comments: