7.25.2007

Was That Really That Color?

Also known as my trip to South Korea. It was a short trip that was basically a layover on the way home from Beijing last time I went there. We only had two nights and one day there and seeing as how Seoul seems to be as big as Rhode Island we really did not see much. What I did see I liked quite a bit though. The food was amazing and the people were all ridiculously nice.

People did regard us a little curiously especially when I decided to kneel down in the middle of the subway and start taking pictures. I think they were more curious of what I could possibly be taking pictures of. My Korean was not up to explaining that we did not have subways in Seattle so I needed to satiate my urge to take photos of them in their fair city.

We went to a great restaurant the night that the bell man recommended. He also called ahead and had a table reserved for us with beer and appetizers waiting. Did I mention the people in Seoul were really nice? The food was great, so great that we ended up going back the following night but found the restaurant closed. Instead we went to a fried chicken joint that beat almost every fried chicken I have had in my life.

I am a big fan of ground effects but have never seen them on anything smaller than a little four banger. This motorcycle now holds that dubious record.

We then wandered down to the Eastern Market where things were poppin'. There was a large karaoke event that also added dancing which was interesting to see. I might mention that it was around 11 PM at the time this photo was taken with all the children out. This reminded me a lot of Spain in that there was no real concept of having to be in early.

The market was pretty cool. They had a large selection of fake goods but also a lot of random things that were pretty nice. Marcelo bought some watches as gifts for various team members and we had a good time seeing the variety of things for sale.

I also partook in some street food as it was too good to pass up. I am not sure how I managed to eat more but I thought I had to at least try some pajeon while I was there.

The next day we wandered over as much of central Seoul as we could and saw lots of palaces and gardens. There was one park where it was just a bunch of people kicking it and playing go which looked like a lot of fun. This was also the place where Marcelo made friends with some older gentlemen who were playing guitar and singing old Johnny Cash songs. He ended up drinking a decent amount of soju with them. I stayed away from the soju then but ended up drinking more than my fair share that evening.

Later I saw this dog. As some back story, Yachi has been telling me for years that she wants a pink poodle. I thought it was all mostly in jest but this was not the only one I saw in Seoul.

This was just a smiley face in the grate that brightened my day.

Seoul was a great time and I would really like to go back there and spend some more time if possible.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Looks like that food had some ground effects also...