9.29.2006

Midnight in a Perfect World

This is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have ever had the pleasure of listening to and last week I got to hear it live from Josh Davis himself. If you have never heard it do yourself a favor and check it out now. Now go buy Endtroducing, you might not like all the songs on it but don't tell me that cause I will start reconsidering our friendship.

The Shadow concert was invigorating. I had forgotten what seeing a good concert is like as I have not been to a good one like this in a while. He mixed his own stuff with a pretty interesting video that he and another guy had put together. This show was different from previous shows of his because it was a personal journey through his career which has lasted over 15 years now (A scary side note, he mentioned this at the concert and I realized how long I had been listening to him and by proxy how old I am now) and it was exciting to see his take on his progression as an artist. I remember the first time I saw him and it was just him and the wheels of steel. He tore up an amazing set. The mix still stands as one of the most eclectic yet complete I have ever heard. This show was as focused as that set was sprawling and I liked seeing both sides.

I like artists who refuse to stop growing. I do not like all the new songs of his new album or even off his old album but the fact that he continues to push himself and his craft is an inspiration. This most recent album could be argued to be schizophrenic because he tries so many different approaches to music. What is amazing though is the way in which he is able to produce masterful songs in styles he has never touched surpassing those who spend their whole focus on these areas. The David Banner track is truly a standout.

Overall an amazing concert and one that I know I will look back on fondly. The rest of the night proved to be the other side of the coin and I will talk about that soon (Hopefully tomorrow but we will see).

No comments: