10.30.2006

Now is when the depression starts…

With the passing of a time change (Daylights savings or it’s reverse daylights spending, I can never remember) sadness has returned to Seattle. When I first moved out here and started meeting other new transplants to the city, I (and others, I am not claiming I was the first to notice, just that I did) noticed that people, including myself, started getting all types of depressed towards the end of October. It remained a mystery for a year or two but then in a sudden flash of genius (we like to call them ‘Eureka’ moments in the genius biz) I realized it was related to how dark it got so early.

Once the clocks change it gets pitch black here by 3 PM which makes the rest of the day kind of lose time and stretch on forever. This condition tends to cause at least momentary spurts of depression in even the cheeriest of people. Not all is woe though (Hahaha that rhymes, I’m a poet and I didn’t even know it), the weather does lend itself to a particularly frightening Halloween season. It looks like it might even be clear out this year. I hope for all the youts that it stays that way.

Speaking of Halloween, I went to Marques’ annual shindig and had a great time. I even managed to bribe / cajole my way into a prize, MOP. Mash out posse you say? No this isn’t Brownsville, most outstanding partier, mostly for my way with the music and the guests. It seemed like a great time was had by all and those who might not have classified it as great probably classified it at least as pretty damn good. Drinking, costumes, breaking boards and mysterious bruises, what more could a party be?

No comments: